Kohler Company Postcard from WI Historical Society
The Village of Kohler was incorporated in 1912 and visions for a planned garden/industrial community were carried forward by Walter J. Kohler. He hired the Olmsted Brothers to create part of the first 50-year master plan, finishing it in 1916. One of the first planned communities in America, the detailed proposal fostered community with everything from sports leagues to picnics and concerts. The qualities of the Olmstedian philosophies can still be seen there today, as the Kohler Company and village residents have taken great care to preserve the landscape architecture and vision that was put in place over 100 years ago.
Kohler Foundation, Inc., located in Kohler, Wisconsin, has supported arts and education since its founding in 1940. The work of Kohler Foundation encompasses five major areas of concentration: art preservation, grants, scholarships, a performing arts series (the Distinguished Guest Series) and the management of the Waelderhaus, a historic Austrian-style house museum in the village of Kohler built for the Kohler Girl Scouts and other community minded programming.
Sousa Concert c. 1925
Ravine Park, Kohler, WI